When should Announcements be used?
- For official, time-sensitive information that needs to be communicated to the entire class or sections
- Messages that do not necessarily require a response
- e.g. assignment submission reminder or lecture cancellation
- Tip: disable comments on announcements in your course Settings to prevent students from replying to Announcement posts
When should Inbox Conversations be used?
- For lengthier messages that need to be exchanged between teachers and students
- Private or sensitive information directed at an individual or selective number of students
- e.g. prompts for late assignment submissions or follow-up on students’ learning progress
- Tip: you can reply to an Inbox/ Conversation message directly from the notification email
Note: both Announcement posts and Inbox Conversation messages are sent as notification emails to the recipients’ UoA mailbox.
When should Chat be used?
- For real-time interaction between teachers and students
- e.g. virtual office hours. scheduled Q & A sessions about upcoming assessments
- Tip: post an announcement as a reminder prior to starting a Chat