Things to do before you enter the Final Grades Tool
In course settings:
- Tick “hide totals in the student grade summary” in course setting > more options. This can help avoid confusion between a provisional Total grade students see in Canvas and the final grade in SSO.
- Ensure you have set a grading scheme.
- Check that the appropriate weightings and points are applied to each assignment group and assignment.
- Check marks for accuracy if they have been uploaded from external sources like QuestionMark or imported from CSV files.
- Ensure there are no blank or empty columns.
Remember – Special grades such as DNS, DNC or NA cannot be applied at this point (they can be entered in the Final Grades Tool). Instead:
- Do not excuse students from final exams; either enter the actual mark they received or leave it blank.
- For unsubmitted assignments – If a student did not submit an assignment, you have the option to leave a dash or hyphen (-) in the gradebook. In this case you have to use “Treat Ungraded as Zero” view-only function to view the student Total score. Alternatively, by giving the student a zero (recommended), the students’ Total in Canvas will match the grade to be sent to the Final Grades Tool.
Read more about final grades in Marking and Grading: Final Grades Tool.